The fight for government transparency and free speech has never been more important, and the Georgia First Amendment Foundation is the only organization in our state that’s 100 percent committed to the cause.
The foundation, founded in 1994, is a nonprofit organization that works to educate citizens, public officials, journalists and lawyers on Georgia’s open records, open meetings and free speech laws.
As part of our mission, we advocate for government transparency, free speech rights and access to public information, meetings and proceedings. We do that critical work at the state General Assembly, in the courts and in county and city offices across Georgia. Keep up with the legislative proposals we’re tracking, download our latest Legislative Watch and follow our regular updates on Twitter @Ga_FAF.
Our Citizen’s Guide to Open Government and our Law Enforcement Officer’s Guide To Open Records in Georgia are the most authoritative resources of their kind in our state.
In recent years, the Georgia First Amendment Foundation has:
- Worked with First Amendment advocates and media organizations statewide to help usher through the Legislature a major expansion of free speech rights — the largest legislative gains in this area in 20 years.
- Conducted open records and open meetings workshops for citizens, public officials and journalists around the state.
- Successfully advocated for increased penalties for government entities that don’t allow access to public meetings, proceedings and records, as required by Georgia law.
- Formally objected to the arrests of journalists covering issues of public interest.
- Conducted workshops to train citizens, law enforcement officers and journalists about access rights to video from drones and police body cameras, as well as protections for citizens recording police via personal mobile phones or cameras.
- Written letters of inquiry to help Georgia citizens and journalists gain access to government meetings, court proceedings and public records.
The Georgia First Amendment Foundation is a membership-based nonprofit 501(c) (3). Learn more at www.gfaf.org/become-a-member. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @Ga_FAF.